Choosing the right lintel
How to choose the right lintel
3 things you need to know...
1) Wall Construction
We have 1000's more products in-stock, so if you can't find what you are looking for give our experts a call and we'll aim to get it for you.
Cavity Wall Timber Frame Single Leaf
Solid Wall Internal Partition External Solid Wall
You need to know:
A Outer Leaf = 102mm brick
B Cavity = 100mm
C Inner Leaf = 100mm Block
2) What length you require
How wide is the structural opening?
- Measure the size of the structural opening i.e the clear span between the masonry supports.
- Add 150mm minimum bearing to each end.
Example lintel length = 150 + 1800 + 150 = 2100mm
3) What load is to be supported
The load on a lintel comes from...
- Roof Loads: Truss/Attic
- Floor Loads: Joists/Slabs
- Live Loads: Residential use/Commercial use/Industrial use
The load ratio between the outer and inner leaves of the cavity wall need to be determined. If you are not sure - we can put you in touch with a technical team who will be able to help you. Just call 0845 450 7100.